First, a dilemma
I’ve finished all the pieces of Beaded Cardi (actually finished that last sleeve last saturday), and here’s what it looks like right now:
It is patiently waiting to be blocked. I do prefer to block before seaming, because it just makes the seaming so much easier when the pieces are nice and flat. It’s easier to match up the stitches, and what a great morale boost to see your knitting so professional-looking!
But right now I am stumped. I have a confession to make — I am a baby when it comes to blocking. I’ve only ever blocked one project, which was another cardigan for Annette (here’s a picture). I used Sirdar Snuggly yarn, which is 50% acrylic / 50% nylon in DK weight. I read Becky‘s mini-tutorial on steam blocking, and decided it was the way to go. It was easy and quick to do, and I’m very happy with the result. However with the (beadless) Beaded Cardi I’m not so sure… The fabric is a bit finer than the Snuggly cardi. I read in Knitty’s article on blocking that with merino fabric, especially fine gauge ones, it’s best to do the pin/spritz method (pin the pieces out, spritz each piece until damp, and wait to dry). But would that really make the pieces flat?
So I’m just wondering if anybody can share about their blocking methods, and whether they achieve the result you intended?
I am impatient by nature, especially now that it’s so close to finishing, I just want to finish it. (Not that I don’t enjoy working on the project, but I just can’t wait to see the end product, you know?) So I’ll probably end up steam blocking (since it’s probably the quickest). But I’d really love to hear your suggestions or any of your experience with blocking. I’d definitely consider it if there’s a better way! (Thanks in advance!)
And in the meantime…
… I have kept myself busy by starting another project (gasp!) because I have no self-control. It’s the Urban Necessity tam/beret from September MagKnits. I’m not making the gloves, just the beret. I’ve always wanted to knit myself a beret, and this pattern looks nice and simple, yet not too simple (there’s actually a snowflake pattern at the top, which you can’t really see from the picture on the website).
I’m making this with yarn from stash, Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed in Dove colourway. It’s light grey-blue-purpley colour with brown and purple flecks. Does that sound weird? But it looks ok. Overall it looks just like light grey-blue, which is a colour I would definitely wear.
Here’s what it looks like at the moment:
It has 1×1 ribbing, so it’s a perfect opportunity to try out tubular cast on! That article in Fall Knitty is really the clearest tutorial on tubular cast on that I’ve ever found on the web. Thanks, Knitty! 🙂 I quite like the way the cast-on edge of the ribbing looks, it definitely looks better than with the long-tail cast-on or knitted cast-on. And I hope it will be more comfortable to wear as well.
I’m still working on Kiri, too. But now that the rows are getting very long, progress is indeed getting slower. I’m only up to 8 repeats. Boohoo…
And a trip to the frog pond
I started the Liesel lace scarf a while ago, with the variegated Lana “Moana” yarn. I like the pattern (love that drooping elm leaves pattern), I like the yarn (love the colourway and the way it drapes), but they’re just not meant for each other. You just can’t see the pattern very well in that yarn, and I think it would be a shame. Here’s what it looks like at last check:
Against the dark background of my couch you can sort of see the leaves pattern, if you squint maybe. But at other times you just can’t see it. So, off to the frog pond this one goes. I still want to make the scarf in the future, just not with this yarn.
Ok that’s all for now. Phew, what a long post!