Books links

I came across several very useful book-related sites recently (and some not-so-recently), so I thought I’d share them here.

Booko — Aussies, this site finds the best deals on buying books in Australia. You can do a search on a book that you’re after, and it will do a price comparison across most online booksellers (including Amazon US, Amazon UK, Book Depository, FishPond, Dymocks, and lots of other local booksellers as well), shipping costs included. For the overseas booksellers, the site even does the currency conversion for you and take that into account in the price comparison. Book Depository almost always come out the cheapest. But it’s still great to have an online tool that does the researching for me 🙂

Library Elf — This site had practically saved me hundreds of dollars in library fines. It’s a personal library reminder service by email! It’s available internationally, as long as your library is on their list. It links up to your library account, and sends you a reminder email a few days before your books are due, which is great for me as I never remember the due dates! I used to turn up to the library worrying whether I have some late fees waiting for me, but no more!

I’m also excited about Randwick library’s downloadables — As someone who knits a lot, I love listening to something while I knit. Usually I listen to podcasts, or just music, but recently I found out that my local library now offers downloadable audio books (as well as e-books). Well they’ve always had audio books (in the form of CDs and even those ancient cassettes), but now I don’t even have to make the trek to the local branch to get them. You do have to be a member to use this service, so I guess this one is just for those in the local area, but perhaps other libraries have something similar?

Childhood books

Speaking of books, and since this post needs a picture 🙂 these are some of the books that I found at a book fair last weekend. These are books that I used to enjoy as a child, except that back then what I was reading were the Indonesian translations of these books. I loved Enid Blyton‘s books the best, especially the girls boarding school ones of St. Clare’s (which has a girl called Claudine!) and Malory Towers — which eventually inspired me to go away as an international student, all the way here in Australia. How funny is that! So now I’m on the hunt for these old books whenever I go to op shops or book fairs (I know they have new reprints of these books, but no, I don’t like the new ‘revamped, modernised and politically-corrected’ reprints, I thought the new bookcovers just look dreadful), so I can re-read them and pass them on to Annette to enjoy.

What books did you love as a child? Or, if you have any Enid Blyton books that you don’t want, let me know, I might want them 🙂

Comments

Rose Red says:

Booko is great isn’t it!

I love Enid Blyton too – somewhat politically incorrect (and hello Dick and Fanny!) but a huge part of my childhood. My fave was the Children of Cherry Tree Farm (I think that’s what it was called) and the Wishing Chair and Magic Faraway Tree books.

Leah says:

Oh, I’ve never heard of Booko before – what a fabulous tool!

Cass Ward says:

I love Enid Blyton and I am trying to collect vintage Secret Seven because I loved them as a child

Melissa says:

Thanks for the links, I have never heard of Booko, that one will come in handy. My sister and I had quite the collection of Enid Blyton books as kids. I might have to give my parents a call to see what happened to them.

Melissa says:

I read almost all of the Famous Five and found that when travelling as a child, you could always count on finding an Enid Blyton book in a local bookstore!

MJ says:

I loved Enid Blyton when I was younger! I think I still have the Wishing Chair packed away somewhere, that was probably my favorite. And I loved the Famous Five, they were sooo grown up!

Jade says:

So cool, Claudine! I used to read Enid Blyton, too, but my favourite ones to hunt are the Chalet School and the Sadlers Wells books. Sadly, they’re very hard to find.

Kelly says:

I had The Wishing Chair and The Enchanted Wood when I was small! They were big illustrated versions as well. I don’t think I have any of them with me anymore though – I think my parents have them. I do have one fairy book (can’t remember the title) that was my favourite becuase of the pictures.

Nicole says:

Thanks for always sharing the MOST useful links! Library Elf will make H a very happy man! He says I single handedly support our local library.

petrina says:

i love enid blyton! i always hunt down 2nd hand bookstores for them as the normal bookstores don’t seem to stock them anymore

Elsie says:

When I was younger I gave away a whole stack of Enid Blyton books to a second-hand bookstore (which no longer exists). I regret it a little. I was quite fond of them. Not sure why I decided to let them go.

Karisma says:

Lucky for me, I have quite a few of those older Enid Blyton books. I had passed them down to my little sister and when she threw them out my mum boxed them up and gave them back to me. My girls did not like them so much as they found the English a little hard to understand. (No slang!) I am hoping they will take to them, if not I will keep you in mind. Mine are all a good 30 years old (at least) and hardcover books.

celia says:

I used to read Enid Blyton as a child and I loved the boarding school books too. I used to dream of the midnight feasts!!! I can’t believe they have modernised it and made it politically correct?! How adare they! The outrage! Oh, and who is they??